header image

Jump cuts: Love ’em or hate ’em?

Now let’s start things off by saying how enjoyable the film Breathless was. It was a very intriguing story with some great humor. However, the film utilizes jump cuts, which I have mixed feeling towards. At first it was very disorienting and made me lose track of things from time to time. So during the first half of the film I became very sore about it. But come the later half, the jump cuts became lessĀ  noticeable(or rather less and less disorienting). at the very end of the film I found that my opinion on it had changed for the better but I found that my reaction to jump cuts were still undecided. I thought to myself, “Did jump cuts help create the atmosphere in the film that I enjoyed?” or, “Are jump cuts unnecessary in progressing plot and just get less noticeable as the film goes on?” This post is a short one because I’m looking for comments on whether or not you guys liked jump cuts and why. I’m at end of my rope on this and require assistance!

~ by kevinvelez on November 30, 2010.

4 Responses to “Jump cuts: Love ’em or hate ’em?”

1. I likeed jump cuts. Breathless is an intoductory example of jump cuts, but there are many movies that adopted jump cuts more sophisticated way. Some of directors use that tecqnique is Steven Sodderberg ( like his ocean’s eleven sequels) and Quentin Tarantino in Kill Bill.

2. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated

3. I think jump cuts are okay, as long as they are noticeable and make sense. But like you said, towards the end of the film Breathless, they became less noticeable, which I am okay with because I think Breathless would have been a great movie even without the jump cuts included. It has an intricate plot, humor, etc…what more could you want from a film? At least that’s what I think…

4. hahaha true that, true that